Tuesday, November 27, 2012

In God's Theater

Why do we do what we do?


Once, when I was in a church service in Bible college, I was challenged that there was one fundamental purpose to a Christian's life, a higher singular purpose than any given activity. That core purpose is to glorify God, bring glory to Him, or glorify His name, however you would prefer to put it. I committed that day, above anything else, to seek to glorify God with my life.

This sounds fairly simple, but if we embrace it from a biblical perspective, we discover that if we are faithful to the purpose, we will consume every moment of our lives with fulfilling it:

1 Corinthians 10:31
So whether you eat or drink, or WHATEVER you do, do it ALL for the glory of God.
I'm not sure I knew what I was getting into...I'm still not sure I know what I'm in, but I do want to Glorify God with my whole life. I know I could do better than I do, but that is my desire.


In order to glorify God all the time, there's other things we must be willing to concede to God, and one of those things is our trust or confidence:

Proverbs 3:5-6
Confide in Jehovah with all your heart, and do not depend on your own intelligence; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make plain your paths. (DBY modernized)
As we purpose to glorify God, we will put our full confidence in him, not depending on figuring it out ourselves. We will continually acknowledge God's hand in each step we take, and realize that all the while He is making his way very clear before our eyes...That is where we've been many times in life, and I don't know if clarifying our path constitutes a call or not, but God's Word tells me another thing that is invigoratingly encouraging to this 40 year-old: 

1Thessalonians 5:24
Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass. (NASB)
Even though I fail to be faithful many times, my God never does, and He will make happen what He calls us to. Guaranteed.

God has not asked, but commanded us in scripture to take care of the orphans and widows because that is what true Christianity is all about. God started something in our hearts long ago when He gave Tamara and me the desire to care for those who no longer had parents of their own. He's done a lot, but He's not done doing...how do I know that? Because I'm still here.
Philippians 1:6
Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (NIV)
He promised me He could complete what He started in our hearts, and he wouldn't be done till He comes back to get us. So, that means we are ALL IN and in it for the LONG HAUL. We have to be if we hope to glorify God in everything...

So, the really cool thing is that when we trust, confide, lean and–as we'll see below–delight in and wait on God, He simply just does the rest.  He straightens the path in front of us and makes it plain as day so we can see where we are going.  One of my favorite scriptures below reveals even more that God does for us...

We are striving with all we have to live out this passage:

Psa 37:3-7 
Trust in the LORD and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.
Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart's desires. Commit everything you do to the LORD. Trust him, and he will help you.
He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn, and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun.
Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. (NLT)

Wow, I like this last part—and this is where we are at right now, so keep praying with us! We wait for God—the Creator of everything, the One who is unlimited in resource—we just WAIT for Him to act...


We are in God's Theater!

If you are tracking with me, there is a dramatic silence...our breath is bated...we are on the edge of our seats...necks are craned...eyes peeled to what's coming around the next bend in the trail...the air is full of joyful SUSPENSE...


What is God going to do next?




No comments:

Post a Comment